Re: Shargash Kings

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 03:37:05 -0400

Stephen writes:

> I dislike the naming of the cult levels as Kings, surely there's a =

> more appropriate title for Shargash's high priests?

Can't we give Enclosure a brief honeymoon period before we start pseudo-  it?? :-)

I *liked* the Red King, Green King, [Black King] thing because it was so *obvious* that we were talking about the real rulers of the city: it had a kinda Gilgameshy, sacral kingy, Spartan dual monarchy, ancient worldy feel to it. ("Yeah, OK, so there's some Yelmic type from Raibanth sent to=

govern the city. But he doesn't run Alkoth, any more than those Yanafali officers run our regiments. There's one of him, a million of us. And what=

the Kings say, goes.")

If we said "The Alkothi word for 'King' is 'fruitloop'", and that the cit= y
and cult were ruled by the Red and Green [and Black] 'fruitloops', I don'= t
think it'd have the same effect on readers. Sometimes, explanation is mor= e
valuable than deliberate obscurantism.

BTW, non-initiates of Shargash, please ignore any words between [square brackets]. Apart from those last ones, that is. [Whoops: giving confusing=

orders to a Shargashi -- I could be in trouble for this!]

::::
Nick
::::