RQ & Glorantha at GENCON

From: Rex Bean <rexabean_at_ozemail.com.au>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 17:43:10 +1000 (EST)

G'day all,

Well Gencon was certainly an experience (good and bad). The organisation was apparently the worst for several years but then David Millians saved me from spending my first night sleeping out on a highway embankment when the hotel computer system lost my booking.

Broken Council was not run as only 12 people turned up. Although I believe that the RQ/Glorantha material sold fairly well from the Chaosium stall. Certainly Mythos demo's were always full whenever I stoped by and I even ran one to give the guys a break on the last day (you certainly lose your voice fast; talking all the time).

The Issaries Inc seminar was full (20-30 people) and Greg said that if pledges keep coming in at the current rate he will be setting up the company in the next month. I was unable to play a game of Feng Shui (which is what Robin Laws has written previously, he is slated to write Glorantha the Game) and I would be interested in comments on its playability. The two opposed d6s mechanic left me wanting to grab a statistics handbook. I certainly wish Issaries Inc luck as Chaosium may be full of talented people but organisationally they make me weep. Rob Heinsoo is going to have a lot of negative karma to overcome to make it work.

I played a RuneQest 4 demo from Avalon Hill. So I suggest no-one hold their breath. They are still in the very early stage of game mechanics and nowhere near ready to playtest. It basically appears to be a mutated form of RQ3: fewer stats, different hit locations and a very detailed combat system (10 - 20 different fighting styles were discussed: whirling attack, crushing attack, upward swing, etc.) They haven't worked out the magic system yet and the game we played was set in a standard fantasy world. They also talk of doing a crusades era campaign set as well.

My impression was that there is one or a few people working on it and that they aren't focussed on it. So I would not expect anything in a hurry. They planned to have something by next Gencon, but we will have to wait and see.

Cheers, Andrew