kings & holy days (but no ducks)

From: Pam Carlson <carlsonp_at_wolfenet.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 13:28:03 -0700

Ahh.. I see all the SFC players of Alkothi PC's are leaping to the defence of their beloved cultic kings. Very gratifying...

> I find that particularly ironic since I think that the title of Red King
> and Green King came from Greg (is that right Pam?).

Actually, I think Harald Smith came up with the red/green-destruction/fertility bit. Dennis Hoover pushed for the two kings part. We did spend several e-mails discussing titles, ("Grand Pooh-Bah" was even tossed about!), but "king" finally popped out because there's not a much more accurate term in English. Then Dennis, Martin and I pounded out the complete theory one weekend. We sent it off to Greg, who thought it fit together rather well, and then expounded on it.

Jeff:
> In central Genertela, religion is thoroughly fused with society and
secular leaders tend to be cultic figures as well. Might as well acknowledge that in cultic terminology.

Here here.

High Holy Days:

Frankly, I have always been a bit baffled by these. Why should one holy day HAVE to be bigger than any other? In the real world, what is the Christian HHD? Easter? Pretty central to the main theme of the religion. Christmas? We get more time off work & school (in North America, anyway), so it must be most important. But counting Lent, Good Friday, and Easter Sunday, Easter is longer. So, which is THE HHD?

Now, to Glorantha, why does EVERY cult have to have the same number and structure of holy days? And what about cultures that don't use the god learner elemental calendar of five seasons? Bag the whole concept, says I.  Make holidays based on the myths, history, and agricultural needs of the culture.

Controvercially,

Pam