Cajun Ducks and More Nonsense

From: Gary R Switzer <gswitzer_at_loop.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 16:26:36 -0700

        V.S. Greene Humors Me: (Thanks!)

>>Gary Switzer bizarrely writes...
>>
>> Actually, viewing Ducks as cursed exiles living in a Marsh brought me
>> the conclusion that, rather than being the "Jews of Glorantha" the
Ducks
>> are the _Cajuns_ of Glorthantha, and they play zydeco music. :) I
mean,
>> what musical instrument fits the Duck personality better than the
>> accordion? Imagine the MFG of Ducks marching into battle to strains of
>> "Lady of Spain." Crawfish gumbo, anyone?
>>
> Ooookay....let's run with this a bit. If ducks are like Cajuns then
>Ganderland is like Arcadia. Arcadia became Nova Soctia (assuming I'm
making
>my History roll) after the French and Indian War, and the ancestors of the
>Cajuns moved to Louisiana. This would suggest that Ganderland is some land
>that is now overrun by somebody else. This has game potential, perhaps
with
>ducks rallying to retake their lost homeland, if they can ever figure out
>where it is actually is. :)

        You came mighty close, it's Acadia, not Arcadia, though in a Gloranthan context the later is ok, too. :) We know it was the wicked Brits who exiled the Acadians all along the Eastern Seaboard and Gulf Coast, but who tossed the ancient Ducks out of Ganderland is an open subject and that's a Good Thing. I doubt the Ducks really know, though a careful re-write of Henry Wadsworth Longfellow's "Evangeline" could give some useful clues.

> Or if nothing else, we have an excuse to have a duck restaurant or
two
>in Pavis and other cities.

        Or at least restaurants where Ducks _write_ the menu instead of merely being _on_ it. :)

        Jeff Richard and Pam Carlson weigh in on accordions:

>>Jeff R:
>> Cajun ducks are definitely MGF! Crawfish gumbo is a must - about time
>> that we get some good cuisine for Dragon Pass! Although I think the
>> Naskori of Ralios have taken the accordion. . . .
>Pam C.
>Sure enough! Konal "Mooseboy" the Piper, brother to Ekel Field Destroyer,
>(king of all the tribe), has a captured Naskori accordion hanging on the
>wall inside his hall - along with his many preserved Naskori trophy heads.

>Such displays please Orlanth!

        Perhaps the accordion travelled from DP to Ralios, with other meager belongings loaded into baby carts, with refugees fleeing the DragonKill War? (Wierd mental images of Dragons divebombing, screaming like Stukas.) Heck, maybe the squeezebox spread to Pavis with the exiles as well. Maybe having an accordion left on your doorstep is a Sartarite way of telling someone to get out of Dodge before the locals start heating the tar. :)

        BTW, Pam, in the ToDP campaign is head-taking a, er, common activity? Did the tradition die out over time, a side effect of the coming of Satar, or are the DP Orlanthi of the 1600's into it as much? I can see those sneaky Lunars reviving a long-unused Orlanthi custom (by offering a bounty for each Duck head turned in) as a way of indirectly spreading disunity and mistrust between the tribes. "Didja hear? The Blackrunes built a new hall." "Ya, them Greydogs'll do enythin' to save a cow. Say, were't they the ones that took Great Uncle Snorri's head back in Bad King Malan's day?"  "You bet. We could show them bastards a thing or two about head takin, if we was a mind ta!"

Gary R. Switzer--Aero Hobbies

End of The Glorantha Digest V5 #127