HHDs

From: Maria or Michael <michael.raaterova.7033_at_student.uu.se>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 08:04:05 +0200

PAM
>Now, to Glorantha, why does EVERY cult have to have the same number and
>structure of holy days? And what about cultures that don't use the god
>learner elemental calendar of five seasons? Bag the whole concept, says I.
> Make holidays based on the myths, history, and agricultural needs of the
>culture.

Yes! Heartily seconded.

Example: in Far Point the HDs for Lankor Knowing are the clan moots, when the lankorings lead the clan in invoking Lankor (among other gods) to bless the meeting. Clan moots are held between one time in a very good year with no disputes needed to be settled and up to four or more times in a really bad year. Once a year there is also a tribal moot, which counts as the HHD, since the number of people participating in the ceremony is the greatest.

A holy day is when enough worshippers of a god can get together and invoke the deity in unison. If the number is too small, it's merely a prayer service without the flash and bang of the presence of the god.

Far Point Worshippers of Orlanth and Ernalda OTOH easily have up to 10 HDs a year, since there are lots of occasions when enough people commune to invoke them.

Michael Raaterova

<.sig omitted on legal advice>