Bats in the Belfry

From: Andrew Joelson <joelsona_at_cpdmfg.cig.mot.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 07:28:03 -0500

Sergio:
> Bats = bird that turned to darkess? It makes sense but in the RW bats are
> mammals so that's a major change.

        The Ducks/Keets thing is a major change. Arkat and his companions becoming Uzuz was a major change. Hsunchen turning into normal humans is a major change. This stuff happens, and it is/was simpler during the God-

        I tossed off the idea of birds changing into bats as bats are the flying creatures that use sonar/Darksense. (Not counting insects, which are already Drakness related.) Let us suppose that a species of birds that were light followers despaired after the Sun vanished. They turn to Darkness and make some sort of pact with one of the Darkness gods (anyone want to suggest a patron for bats, other than Argan Argar, God of Surface Darkness?). A major ritual is undertaken, and all those birds that turn to Darkness are changed into something that can survive better.

>> Light worshippers with bird familiars/allies that turned to Vivamort >> created the vampire bats.

> Why light worshipers? Why not darkness worshipers?

        Darkness worshippers don't tend to take birds as their familiars/ allies. That is largely the perogitive of Light worshippers.

        Anybody out ther know of non-Light types that get birds as allies? (Besides sorcerers, that is.)

        Um, I know you meant it as a joke, but any duck-turned-vampire in Pavis would probably end up in Black Fang.

Andrew Joelson				    joelsona_at_cpdmfg.cig.mot.com  -|-
aka Rupert von Harl; Cults of Seven Mothers, Yanifal Tarnils and Humakt |  "Contradiction? No, I always did tend to kill chaos creatures anyway" /