Rules, settings, and, well, rules...

From: Jane Williams <janewill_at_mail.nildram.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 19:56:23 +0000

Mike said:
> Buffoons, blaggards and gibbering lunatics! I'm intermittently involved in
> two games run using RQ3 that aren't Gloranthan based. And even when the new
> Gloranthan game comes out I might well continue to use RQ.

Our local RPG club uses RQ or a RQ based system for almost every game we run. That includes a generic fantasy orc-bashing type thing, demi-gods in Heroic Greece, semi-historical Arthurian, Elizabethan pirates, and even Glorantha. Each of these have the rules modified in some way or other: yes, that includes different stats. If a new version of RQ comes out, I'll buy it and use bits of it. (But not in Glorantha - that'll be modifed PDP).

> > Actually, a Crusades-era game sounds pretty good to me, though you
> > might have some political-correctness issues.
Either it's very un-historic, or it's unplayable for female characters, surely? You know, like these Solar places. Although from what I've read, I always thought Saladin was the hero.

Pam said on High Holy Days:
> Frankly, I have always been a bit baffled by these. Why should one
> holy day HAVE to be bigger than any other?...Why does EVERY cult have
> to have the same number and structure of holy days?
Because you get your POW tick on your HHD, and if some cults had more than one per year that would unbalance the game (not that the spells, geases, etc. that the power-gamer cults get do that now of course...)

Good idea. We need to sort out what gets celebrated on each HD anyway: what do you bet the "size" of each celebration varies with region? I've heard that some bunch of kilt-wearing weirdos think Hogmanay is more important than Santa Day, and if you can have ideas that strange....

I will go away and sort out what Vingans celebrate, and when, and why, and how. Who wants to do the other hundred-odd cults?

Jane Williams                     jane_at_williams.nildram.co.uk
http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~janewill/gloranth/index.shtml