Apprentice Guild, Red/Green King

From: Stephen Martin <ilium_at_juno.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 1997 17:59:05 EDT

Alas, all I have from Apprentice Guild is Cults of Light and Death, purchased at Convulsions '94. Some interesting material, not all of it really fits into Glorantha, but they did some good work all around. Cool fold-out map, especially.'

Red and Green King

Sorry this post is so dated. Basically, what Nick Brooke suggested was not quite what I had in mind. Let's see, in Sartar we have a Prince, in Carmania we have Shahs, in the Lunar Empire we have Satraps and/or Sultans, in Prax we have Khans. So, why in Alkoth and Dara Happa should we have Kings?

I suggest a different RW word be used, and I think the best one (given other cetntral Pelorian myths and publications) is Tyrant. In its original, Greek (?), meaning of a more or less all-powerful ruler (I don't swear this last statement is accurate).

Thus, we would have the Red Tyrant and Green Tyrant of Alkoth. There is already a Tyrant of Ganbarri mentioned in GRoY, and I think Vantestos (from the Gods Wall) could fairly accurately be called Tyrant, from a DH point of view.

To answer Pam's question, my understanding of the Catholic religion is that Easter is a much more important holyday than Christmas. It is central to the religion, the festival to which thousands of pilgrims will flock more than any other.

Most religions have such a highest holyday, IMO. Not that all of them aren't important.

Note that among the Orlanthi there is a cycle of High Holy Day's, one per season: Heler's in Sea Season, Elmal's in Fire Season (originally), Ernalda's in Earth Season, and Orlanth's in Storm Season. Dark Season supposedly does not have one, as it is a time of mourning (ancient Divinations from Chaosium provide this information, substituting the name Elmal for Yelmalio, of course).

Stephen Martin
ilium_at_juno.com

The Book of Drastic Resolutions
drastic_at_juno.com