Karse

From: Hasni Mubarak <richo_at_epix.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 1997 07:51:03 -0400

First, many thanks to the people that replied to my Karsian Questions.

My game is taking place in the year after the fall of Whitewall. (1623, I believe.)

I've decided (IMG) the city has just under 10k people. Of this, there is a Lunar Regiment that SHOULD be 1000 men strong, but is undermanned and not a particularly effecient unit. On top of that, about 100 of the men from the Garrison are seperated from and work as "reliable" townwatch. Likewise, there are about 100 men that are locals who work with the Lunars and help keep the peace. (Less profesional, more compasionate.) As somebody pointed out, they would be called "Collaborators" if this was occupied France. Most of them just think of themselves as "Thuggs with clubs and jobs." It may be a bit high, but as somebody else pointed out-it is a port town and can be a rowdy one at times.

The Palace Guard will also steal 100 men from the Garrison, and due to some politicing and a minor misplacement of the Gov's daughters, a band of about 20 Humakti have been hired as his personal and families bodyguard. (And yes, the "Palace Guard" wonder what the heck they are doing there...) Oh, and I just LOVED when the PC's realized that they were defending a Lunar Gov. The poor Humakti...and it's not like they could break the oath, right? :-) )

Anyhow, the Garrison is really only at about 60% of it's strength, and even then the majority of the competent soldiers are off doing something else. However, with Sword Attack" a cult skill, every Orlanthi is a warrior, and they can help make up a half decent milia if necc. The trick is getting them to volunteer. :-)

One last question: Horrible things have been happening in Karse (IMG) and I am having settlers forcibly (or ignorantly) relocated there. Where would they be from? The last batch were "from the Lunar Heartland". Most likely, there are towns and villages that are growing to fast or that are over-farming and people just need to move. I also thought that there were groups of Orlanthi that would be pushed off their tribal lands and relocated to a place where they are less likely to be ABLE to provide an organized resistance.

Thanks again,
Rich Ohlson