Re: The Glorantha Digest V5 #130

From: David Cake <davidc_at_cyllene.uwa.edu.au>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 1997 04:06:43 +0800

        On matters to do with Yanafals, I'd go with what Nick Brooke says, but just in case he doesn't answer

> Question 1: Whom did Duke Yanafal worship ?

        This came up a few months ago. Despite objections from Stephen Martin (who felt he should worship Carmanos or some similar Carmanoi god), I think the concensus was that he worshipped
> (a) ... a Carmanian Death God just like Humakt. Southern barbarians
> call Yanafal's Death God "Humakt".

        Its also worth noting that Yanafals is no longer thought (at least by Nick) to be a native Yuthuppan, but the son of the Carmanian overlord of Yuthuppa, so he worshipped Carmanian gods, not Yuthuppan ones.

        We had no concensus on what the Carmanians call their version of Humakt, IIRC.

        It is interesting to note that the Carmanian version of Humakt is almost certainly a god of the Hazar (warrior) caste, not the Carmanoi (nobles), which does raise the question of why Duke Yanafals was worshipping him. Perhaps its just one of those results of a life in exile, perhaps he is also worshipped by those Carmanoi who fancy themselves true warriors.

> Question 2: Yanfal the Ram and Warrior

        I think we are talking an adult male sheep. He wears rams horns on his helmet. The reasons why are not known, at least not to me.

	Cheers
		David

'...never support evil as a preferred lifestyle'
	-TSR Inc corporate standards