Re: High Holy Days

From: Robert McArthur <mcarthur_at_fit.qut.edu.au>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 1997 13:44:51 +1000 (EST)

> Anyhow, that's my take. BTW, just to get away from ducks and drudge up
> an old topic, I do like the idea of allowing a chance for "one-use"
> divine magic to come back. Usually based on the number of successes in
> Cult Skills during the HHD or alternativly, Sacred Time. If you wanna
> be stingy, require specials. (I think that's what I did. I should find
> out, just on the off chance that another year rolls around.)

I make the skill needed a simple ceremony roll. Off the top of my head... if they are in a temple for HD or HHD,

Priest: 1 day/point whenever, all points on HHD, all points on HD if ceremony

        rolled (unless officiating which is automatic) Lord: 1 day/point (for those religions with reusable - eg storm voices),

	roll ceremony for each point on HD, all points on HHD if allowed by
	officiating Priest, otherwise like HD
Acolyte:1 day/point whenever, all points on HHD, roll ceremony for each point
	on HD unless officiating
Initiate:choose one to roll ceremony against for HD; if allowed roll ceremony
	against all for HHD, or just one if not allowed

It's pretty much the same with RunePower as well (which I play). actually RunePower is easier since you dont have to worry about a Medium Lune=2 points (ie. stackable vs non-1pt-non-stackable spells... phew).o

An addition that just struck me is that maybe it makes sense to make "one-use" *priestly* magic able to come back too? (before you all press Reply..) For example, the chance of you getting the particular spell/points back for a one-use priest/lord spell = number-of-times-you-have-cast-the-spell * 10, maximum of 50%. Thus, a priest/lord who uses their Gods most potent magic (theoretically the one-use ones) is becomming more and more like their God, and gets some of those benefits. Of course, the spell doesn't become reuseable - that should be a heroquest, but they have the chance at one more use of it before (maybe) resacrificing again.

> Here is another completely different question. I have been running one
> campaign for, gosh, about two years now. However, I think that we have
> only progressed about a year in game time. (We play once or twice a
> month) In this time, I don't have one PC with enough Divine to qualify
> for Rune Status, much less have the skills necc. (Most are Humakti,
> btw. Nobody has an easy acolyte status.) I'm not going to ask if I'm
> going to slow since it's a pace we've been happy with and have had fun
> with, but I was just wondering how other campaigns are paced. Are we
> the exception, the average, or uh..the other exception :-) ?

well, after 6 years playing (lots at the start, less at the end), *one* member of the party was a RuneLord of Stormbull. Others were "RuneLord" of Daka Fal (RQ2; close to it), RuneLord of Orlanth (a fair way from it), Rune Priest of Eiritha (long way from it) and a couple of others. Lots of fun, and with fanaticism + bladesharp, people were over 100% quite often in fighting skills.

Nowadays I try and get things happening a bit quicker - I think I'm more impatient that when I was young (cello music in the background).

Robert McArthur

(of course, my current PC will be a WindLord in a session or two, won't he  Paul? ;-)