Arkatism and Illumination, again.

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_interzone.ucc.ie>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 1997 05:55:41 +0100 (BST)

Many moons ago, Simon Phipp, he say:
> Absolutely, the Sartarite culture (Theyalan Culture in general) makes no
> real distinction between male and female roles - they can easily switch
> around.

Well, that's two rather different things. It'd be more accurate to say there is a fairly clear distinction, _but_ they can easily switch around.

Quoting Paolo Guccione:
> > I believe that all Illuminati are the same colour to
> > Arkat-blessed eyes.

> Maybe, but I was basing the description on the Blessing of St Arkat in the
> Gloranthan Encyclopedia which, as I recall, was clear on the matter. I may
> be wrong as my source material is back in Ireland.

The key point here, I think, is that Arkati, and I suspect St. Arkat cultists even more so, don't consider themselves to be "Illuminates". How similar they "really" are in rule/monogameworld terms is another matter, of course. Their world-view purposefully distinguishes between themselves, the (at least potentially) Good Guys, and the Hapless Dupes of Nysalor. So I believe the abilities and magic contains the added feature (or according to personal prejudice, self-deluding distinction) that they can detect both "Arkati" and "Illuminates", but be able to tell the difference.

I haven't seen what the Gloranthan Encyclopedia has to say on the matter, which would of course be interesting, but I recall Sandy posting some comments on this before...

> I prefer a more absolute proof - it certainly puts the wind up
> players if they KNOW that they have touched on the Dark Side.

I think that's pretty much impossible, though. The Dark Side thing is a moral/ethical distinction, not a difference in mystical or magical state. Of course, you're still, as an Arkati/Illuminate, free to believe that everyone from school/cult X is Evil and Wrong, and should be Farmed Immediately, but I don't think your own "Illumination" can "prove" that.

> > Arkat Chaosbane,

> Allows the membership of Kyger Litor, Storm Bull and Zorak Zoran.

Obviously true for the trollish form of this sect, but I suspect it also comes in different flavours, possibly with a completely different take on the sorcery v. divine issue.

> > Arkat the Destroyer.

> This is the cult of Gbaji and is not nice. It accepts the use of Chaos to
> destroy Chaos. These are mixed-up Arkati.

Interesting thought. Potentially mildly redundant with the Galvosti, perhaps. It fits, though, with the general Arkati megalomania... use fire to fight fire, and thermonuclear explosions to fight same, if it comes now to it...

G'luck,
Alex.