High Holy Days

From: rhwolfe1_at_ix.netcom.com
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 1997 12:33:25 -0500 (CDT)

"Pam Carlson" <carlsonp_at_wolfenet.com> wrote:

>High Holy Days:
>
>Frankly, I have always been a bit baffled by these. Why should one holy
>day HAVE to be bigger than any other? In the real world, what is the
>Christian HHD? Easter? Pretty central to the main theme of the religion.
>Christmas? We get more time off work & school (in North America, anyway),
>so it must be most important. But counting Lent, Good Friday, and Easter
>Sunday, Easter is longer. So, which is THE HHD?

As a former Good Catholic Boy, I can tell you that without a doubt Easter is the HHD. There're lots of reasons, but basically, if you go to Church on Easter (or during the Holy Time after Easter) and partake of communion, you're a Catholic (though perhaps not a very good one). If you miss, you're officially lapsed (in RQ terms, you're an inactive initiate. I figure that's pretty much how it works in Glorantha.

Also, from the perspective of game mechanics, I give cult initiates POW checks on their HHDs and during Sacred Time, (as long as they attend an organized Worship Ceremony and the Priest makes his Ceremony roll) so it helps to have a single HHD per cult to make it fair to all.