Headhunting

From: David Millians <drakon_at_atl.mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 1997 17:13:41 -0400 (EDT)

        Several people have written about headhunting Orlanthi. I would prefer that there be variety and change over time and from region to region. In my own game, set in the misty highlands of Aggar, headhunting is a known but relatively rare tradition. It would be seen as quite over the top in a cattle raid, for example. Heads are taken as trophies and measures of war might.

        The characters in my game have never heard of Thanatar, Tien, or Atyar, and it will be a delight one day to watch their faces when they discover some aspect of these cults!

        After all, Dorastor is only a few days away.

Nick Brooke:
>Part of the EVIL of Than is that it
>perverts the perfectly understandable and honourable custom of
>head-hunting into some warped chaotic abomination.

        Yeah! But then aren't so many of the bad things in the world, at least as far as Orlanthi are concerned, simply branches of the Storm Clan gone awry?

Stephen Martin:
>I also believe that the chaos entity Than
>originated not as some chaotic entity in the Darkness, but as an Orlanthi
>headhunter who eventually went too far, and became chaotic himself. It is
>a fine line, using a foe's head as a magic weapon, and using it as a
>chaotic magic weapon.

        See what I mean?

        David Millians