Paying for troops

From: Ed Tonry <etonry_at_gte.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 1997 21:18:39 -0400

Jose Ramos said:

> Keeping and feeding an army is expensive. That's why militias >are popular.

As my players recently found out. They've gone off to Ralios to raise high-class mercenaries for the liberation of Sartar. I have very nicely provided them with a gold rush in Lalia. In return for defending the countess, they get one half of one percent of the gold. They are paying their troops a good, but fairly normal wage, plus half their share of the gold.

It sounded pretty good to the players. Heck, it sounded pretty good to me, too, until I did the math. Even with a rich gold strike, the players _entire_ share of the gold went to their troops, plus a bit extra. And they've only hired 200 men, much fewer than they would like to have.

So now they are trying to figure out how to make ends meet without using up all their savings.

Ed Tonry