troll marching song/bat marching orders

From: Owen Jones <oj_at_maths.anu.edu.au>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 1997 10:34:13 +1000 (EST)

David Weihe and Jane Williams' improvements to the troll marching song can be found incorporated into an online version at http://wwwmaths.anu.edu.au/~oj/RQ/Men_of_Darkness.html Must admit that I agree to a certain extent with Jane that troll songs would generally be simpler, though perhaps they borrowed the tune from the "Men of Furthest". In any case, for some reason I find the thought of thousands of deep Uz voices, all singing Men of Darkness in four part harmony at the Cardiff Arms Trollball Park before a game, strangely moving.

On bats, I must cede to Andrew Joelson and Sandy Peterson on their origin. Tangentially, and of possible interest to bat geneologists, RW fruit eating bats actually followed a different line of evolution to their insect eating namesakes (a nice example of parallel evolution). Perhaps in Glorantha we have fruit eating bats in Pamaltela, where the trolls actively encourage them because they annoy the elves so much, and because they taste a bit like chicken marinated in fruit juice for a week (or so I'm told. eating fruit bat can also help asthma sufferers, apparently).

Cheers

Owen

Owen Jones
Centre for Maths and its Applications, School of Math. Sciences Australian National University, ACT 0200 Ph +61 6 249 2897 (office) 249 4552 (direct) Fax +61 6 249 4675 Web page http://wwwmaths.anu.edu.au/~oj/