Gold!

From: Ed Tonry <etonry_at_gte.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 00:23:25 -0400

Loren has some interesting comments about gold and armies. It's really too long to go into in detail. All I really need to say, anyway, is that I made different assumptions.

For one thing, the PC's army is only 200 strong, and is a moderately high quality auxiliary to the regular army. Also, the mines are owned by the miners, not the state. And I used a much different raw gold to coined gold ratio.

Not that I object to Loren's version. The only problem I see with what he describes is that any invading country has to raise its huge army with _promised_ gold. The defenders get to use real, in the hand, gold.

Ed Tonry