Beast-men, Hsunchen, Dragonewts, and Newtlings

From: Peter Hindman <strev_at_arches.uga.edu>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 12:31:48 -0400 (EDT)

   Hi. Just joined the digest, hope this hasn't been done to death.

   Can anyone point me to references on the distinctions between beast-men and hsunchen? There don't seem to be many deep references on beast-men; the most information I've seen is in stuff on scorpion men, who aren't necessarily representative. It seems as if (to go from the Bagog description) that beast-men are tied to both Beast and Man, while hsunchen are only tied to Beast, despite appearing and acting much more 'man'-like. I suppose the big question, mythically/ecologically speaking, is why Glorantha contains both types of beings in more or less the same regions and ecologies. They're clearly related (Bagog offers spells to gain a scorpion's carapace and claws) but not the same (Bagog doesn't offer Become Scorpion).

   And while I'm at it, are dragonewts really just a kind of dragon hsunchen (probably not)? And does that make newtlings newt hsunchen based on a dragonewt rather than a human model?