Weasel

From: PMichaels_at_aol.com
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 1997 10:51:36 -0400 (EDT)

Peter Linton Tracy says of my Weasely thoughts:

>P Micheals Weasel is great,

Thank you!!

>but what happens to the lousy hunters,

First, it is mostly warriors who do this sort of duck hunting, not professional hunters.

Second, I don't think this happens too often. Weasel is not well known, except in certain circles. There he is recognized as a spirit who can be helpful to duck hunters but who can also be dangerous. His most regular worshippers are an annual troll raiding party from Skyfall Lake. The "Bill Collectors" specialize in providing duck meat and eggs for the KL mommies to eat and the AA merchants to sell.

If the lousy duck hunter is a troll, he either dies of embarrassment or is dinner for the wife when she finds out. (For a female uz, a husband without a working willie is no troll at all. Besides, it can't even catch and kill a few DUCKS! It's best to put the useless thing out of it's misery.)

If the lousy duck hunter is an Orlanthi human, he earns a new name (Emptybreeks, Wifescorn, etc) when the rest of his village or clan finds out.  If he doesn't bag a few ducks and regain his manhood quickly enough, his wife divorces him and he begins gaining a serious reputation as incompetent and/or a freak. Eventually, if he still has not caught enough ducks, he will find himself being forced into the ritual roll of Eurmal whenever there is no Eurmali around (leading to a further loss of self esteem and social status).  With the increasing social ridicule and isolation, he stops trying to catch ducks altogether and starts drinking heavily. He becomes a "mean drunk," neglects his appearance, etc. This degeneration continues until he is, in fact, Eurmali.

A good lesson in why one shouldn't get greedy with magic from strange animal spirits.

>and what does Weasel do with all the extra Penises? ;-)

Chew toys! ;-)

I forgot to mention that on a very rare occasion Weasel will return the wrong member to a duck hunter. This might not be too bad if you're a human who ends up with a troll member ("Jhon Blackfinger"), but if you're a troll with a human member you're in for a rough time with the guys (and, if married, you're probably wife food)!

I have also been convinced that for some ducks Weasel is a figure that evolks a deep frustrated anger instead of fear. For them he is a symbol for the way the whole world abuses ducks, and how ducks are helpless to stop them. He represents the inherent unfairness, injustice, and randomness of the world.