Herd men

From: Carl Fink <carlf_at_panix.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 1997 17:24:43 -0400 (EDT)

"Guy Hoyle" <ghoyle1_at_mail.airmail.net>:

> I don't have much to say about Herd Man biology, but I
> think that Herd Man biology and human biology must be nearly
> identical. If there were differences, I think it would be much
> easier for non-Praxians to say, "They just look human, but really
> they're not like us at all. Pass me another rib, old boy---er, old
> morocanth."
>
> The fact that Herd Men are JUST LIKE US except for their placid,
> beastlike intellect serves to underscore the horror of the situation
> for strangers to the plains.

I completely agree with all of this -- the whole thing that makes Herd Men so apalling is that they're indistinguishable physically from us, just like the silent people in _Planet of the Apes_.

Note that the Fix INT spell specifically makes the new plains creature able to survive on chapparal. It's a magical effect, not an extra stomach (in Glorantha).

However, I'm a nitpicking bio major, so Have to say:

> . . . I think that they must have at
> least some meat in their diets as well, such as rats, small toads and
> frogs, and the occasional fish.

Why? Humans don't. Plenty of people live on purely vegetarian diets here on Earth.
- --
Carl Fink carlf_at_dm.net
Manager, Dueling Modems Computer Forum
<http://dm.net>
"I don't mind being called a greedy, satanic terrorist." -Scott Adams

End of The Glorantha Digest V5 #139