Dogs and Wolves, Web Page Update

From: Stephen Martin <ilium_at_juno.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 1997 02:29:02 EDT

>From Thomas the Telmori-Fan:
>I'm interested in this example. Do you propose that Telmor and the Big
>Dog are the same dieties and that wolf spirits are the same as dog
>spirits ? Do you just ignore Dorastor, LoD ("Both the Telmori and the
>dog-people of Balazar recall an encounter between their dieties. The
>results of this fight are unclear, but the two peoples have an undying
>hatred of each other, even though they had no contact for centuries."
>p.119) ?

As this line is mine, I will give my opinions on the matter.

The Telmori Spirit(s) and the Dog Spirit(s) are completely separate entities. However, just as on Earth, at one time in the past they were the same, or at least were the same species. But Dogs betrayed their brothers (so the Wolves say), and now there is only enmity. I have never quite figured out how Dogs might defend this betrayal.

However, with a capital H. I think the two species are still more interchangeable than either would ever admit, or even let you say without ripping your throat out.

For example, from discussions with Ken Rolston (who discussed them with Greg beforehand), it seems likely that part of what Sartar did when he helped the Telmori gain a new leader was journey to the Telmori of Dorastor. And there he was able to partially break their curse, never mind how or in what way.

But, I don't think that Ostling Four-Wolf was from the Dorastor Telmori. I point you to the admitted "fact" that no Telmori can have more than one Wolf Brother at all, let alone at a time. But, in Balazar, we know that Brother Dog is very popular and, even though his hsunchen roots are mostly lost, hunters roam with _packs_ of dogs.

Could Ostling have been a Balazaring, and his four "wolves" were in fact a pack of very large, very mean, very wolf-like dogs?

With no response I caught (though admittedly I could have missed one), can anyone email me directly and put me in contact with Michael Trout? It is in regard to the Lhankor Mhy Project for the Chaosium Web Page, which is going quite well. I don't know if the Gloranthan material completed is up yet, but if not it will be soon. Note that not all of the material included is, strictly speaking, out of print.

Among the material which will appear at any time now is:

Introduction to Glorantha
Prosopaedia
What the Priest Says (all of the published ones) What My Dad Told Me (ditto)
Mythos and History of various cults
History of the Lunar Empire, Zero Wane (1-5 Wanes to follow)

Additional materials will follow as work on them is completed.

Shannon Appel will provide the location of the site when he gets it running.

I hope that everyone had a good holiday weekend (if it was a holiday for you, that is)!

Stephen Martin
ilium_at_juno.com

The Book of Drastic Resolutions
drastic_at_juno.com