Re: The Glorantha Digest V5 #140

From: Sérgio Mascarenhas <sermasalmeida_at_mail.telepac.pt>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 1997 12:21:06 +0100

Luc Lavergne:
> What is the connection between Gloranthan Ducks and their animal
> cousins.

I think that in the origin they were the same species (like intelligent = and non-intelligent fish). But the curse that outcasted intelligent = ducks from Vrimak's family broke the connection between intelligent = ducks and non-intelligent ducks. Since then they are two independent = species.
> Do Ducks herd animal-ducks or are they eaten by them ?
IMO some do, other don't but those that do are a minority.
> are they sacred to them

No.
> Are animal-ducks Ducks with fixed INT !!!?
No !!!

> Also, is there a web site where I could find the Duck Mini-Pack
> or is there a project for one ? All this work on duck is just
> fabulous. I can't wait to use this stuff in my next games. I'm even
> thinking about an entire duck party...
I've just collected all messages on ducks posted in GD this summer. = Based on it (both my messages and other people contributions) I started = a document of what will become my final version of the Duck Mini-Pack (I = suspect that it will not be all that mini...). I am revriting the whole = thing in order to acomodate an conciliate the issues raised on tens of = messages.
I'll send this document to anybody that e-mails me to = sermasalmeida_at_mail.telepac.pt

Sandy Petersen:
> >Why is the adaptability of ducks such a mistery?
> Their adaptability isn't a mystery - their PAST is a mystery.
> (...) it's hard to say what they were a hundred or a thousand years =
ago.=20
It's hard to whom? If you mean that it's hard to ducks to tell their = history, I agree with you. The way I understand ducks, the notion of = 'history' is alien to them. They don't have a rational study of their = past or an established set of past records. They have lores and stories = but these reflect heavily the influence of the peoples with whom they = share ther living. In that sense, their view of the past is a reflection = of other peoples history.

But what about humans? IMO both the god-learners and Lankhor Mhy sages =
should have studied the durulz and recorded information about them. In =
that sense, duck's past is not a mistery and can be described. My duck =
mini-pack is an atempt to do just that.

> The whole point of being a weird little cranky guy is to _be_
> him, not to have some kind of epic history backing you up.=20
Here you have three, not one, points: should they have an history? I = just stated my opinion which is yes.
Should it be epic? No (here I strongly agree with you). Being epic, = dramatic or comedy is mainly the result of the way things are described = and presented. It's less related to fact then to form. The consequence = is that any durulz's history should be writen in the right tone. (Do I = have the literary skills to do it? I suspect not.) Should it 'back ducks up' (in other words, are they aware of it)? I just = agreed with you that no.

> I hold to the opinion that traditionally in Glorantha ducks have been =
good
> Sartarites, not just skin-deep.

Ok the expression 'skin-deep' is not quite appropriate. Anyway, we are = speaking about different things. One thing is to decide if ducks have = their how culture that is different from the human culture. A different = thing is to know if they share a common political system. Let me give = you an example: in RW native americans do have a distinctive culture but = they also received and incorporated the european culture and are good = United Sates of America citizens. And they live in reserves... That's = how I think ducks were incorporated in Sartar. Two points: ducks are unaware of their distinctive mores (they don't = describe them, reflect on them or rationalize them). Ducks participation = in orlanthi culture is limited since humans don't accept them as equals = (you don't find ducks leading humans; in cults ducks are accepted as = initiates or acolytes but it's exceptional for a duck to achieve priest = or rune lord status - with the exception of religious activties = participated only by ducks: like RW slaves last century that had slave = priests leading slave religious ceremonies).

> I also believe that there's no point in having ducks unless their=20
> personality and nature is just as shallow as it seems.
First, we have them. It's to late to go back. Second, I mostly agree = with you but I think that this means that ducks' personality deserves to = be studied. I'll post my musings on this issue in the near future.

S=E9rgio Mascarenhas