Weight of coinage

From: Robert Baumgartner <a9000151_at_unet.univie.ac.at>
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 1997 14:51:21 +0200

Recently I thought about weights of different coins and especially about the penny/Lunar/Guilder: Elder_Secrets says that 1 ENC (kilogram) of silver is worth approximately 50 Pennies, depending on the region.

So if a silver penny is worth about the material it weighs then one penny weighs 20 gram (and with the same reasoning one golden wheel has a weight about 30 grams, one (copper) clack 20 gramm, one bolg 10 gram). I see no problem with the wheel weighing 30 gram, but clack and penny weighing 20 gram is a little bit too much IMHO - about 10 gram for one penny, about 5 for a clack is what I previously thought of. Well, it's no problem for the clack if you use a copper-silver alloy to reach 5 gram. But what's with the penny? I don't think there is any percentage of gold or iron in a standard penny - so is it really such heavy? And another problem comes with other coins that an article on the web mentions: The Storm/Sovereign/... is worth 10 Pennies, and therefore probably weighs about 200 gram (!) if not mixed with gold or iron.

Has anyone an idea about the weight and ingredients of one Lunar?

Robert