Pamaltela and Teleos.

From: Simon Bray <101635.32_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Sep 1997 06:13:17 -0400

Hi All,

Re Pamaltela.
 Thanks for the input about Pamaltelan animals. Despite Stephen saying not to worry about the Pamaltlan creatures that were made up for RQ1/2 I still wouldn't mind having a glimpse, nothing can be worse than a nasobeme.

Re Teleos. (Think weird Hawaii, Polynesia, Micronesia etc)

Description.
 Teleos is a tropical island, covered in jungle with a mountainous interior
(like all good tropical islands). The Elder secrects book suggests that
half the year Teleos has next to no wind and then the other half has a typhoon season.

Inhabitants.
 Primitive Humans, each with a different colour skin. Blue, orange, red, green, yellow and purple. Each tribe keeps to itself and speaks of the other tribes in a rather nasty manner accusing them of all manner of atrocities. In an old Digest Sandy says he doesn't remember the people of Teleos being different colours before the closing. The people all speak the same language, the only differences in their tongue is their names for each other. The Teleos people do not breed true, which causes a lot of problems, eg two red may have a purple child, two purples may have green and yellow twins. As a consequence the tribes meet each year to trade children, this causes lots of complications. This is the only time that the different colour meet. I think that true born children are seen as sacred and become leaders and shamans. I dont't think the people fight, if they did it would not be to the death and would probably be ritualistic. I also don't think the natives use ships anymore, and don't want to be pirates again. Culture is primitive, clanlike with a council of elders. Religion is more than likely shamanic, perhaps venerating the spirit of the island, the weather and local magic spots.

 Yellow elves also inhabit the Island, I don't think they people of Teleos interact with them on a regular basis only when they have to. Eg. Hunting trips, entering the jungle. See Elder Secrets for more information.

 Dragonewts are found here as well. They are seen as very strange, not part of the world. They can appear anywhere, watching the humans and elves, perhaps standing in a village square for months or running up and down a beach. A while back Sandy said that the Teleos Dragaonewts do not eat and so die of starvartion regularly. I don't know if they have a Dragonet Ruler.

History.

 Teleos used to be known as Pirate Island before the closing. The pirates were defeated by the God Learners, then another tribe became the pirates, constantly keeping the Jrusteli busy. The God Learners could only ever keep five of the six tribes controlled at anytime, so there were always pirates about.
During the closing Teleos was completely Isolated. The Kralorelans and East Islanders (I think) were the first to visit the island and then later traders from Maslo in Pamaltlea arrived. The six tribes then set up trading out post with these cultures.
 The Teleos natives have no written language and a rather dodgy oral tradition that tends to get muddled and clouded by their animosity to the other colours.

Places of Interest.

 Each tribe has a trading post. These trading post each have different people coming to them, eg Malso, Haragala, Kralorelan, Fonritan. The only one I can remember is called Place of Cloth and is run by guys from Kumanku for the Purples.

 Child Trading Place (or Somthing like that), I think this is the Island's Axis Mundii as well. In my campaign it was a coloseum like affair made of ancient stone, in the centre were six great stone heads (ala Easter Island) each a different colour. The coloseum has six entrances. The was also a podium on which a dragonewt stood and around the podium were loads of dragonewt bones and skins (slowly disappearing out of reality) These were untouched by humans or dragonewts, but on one occasion a yellow elf war band walked in took a lot of them.

 Place of the Big Silver Hats. In my campaign a group of oranges lived in a village by the sea. The men all wore massive helmets that completely covered their shoulders, these helmets were for major rituals and were made from silver collected from a near by shipwreck. The men dived down
(like pearl divers) and brought back a piece of silver every year, this was
added to the helmet. Some of the old men had helmets that reached their toes. When asked why they did it they hadn't got a clue, but knew it was important. The women never cut their hair and straightened it with hot stones, they then braided it and danced a spinning, head twirling dance called the "Bouncing dance that makes men amorous"

 Beware, some of this comes from unpublished sources, some from my memory of unpublished sources, some from my own imagination and other bit from old digests.

Cheers Simon Bray.