Teleos

From: Stephen Martin <ilium_at_juno.com>
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 1997 02:10:52 EDT

To All:

The unpublished Oceans Book has about 2-3 pages on Teleos. Not a whole lot of info.

I submitted a number of Teleosian myths for Tales of the Reaching Moon 10, but they didn't quite have enough space to include them. If I do a Volume Water of The Book of Drastic Resolutions after the Volume Darkness, I had planned to include them there. They draw heavily on the unpublished info, being a mythic explanation of some of the cultural practices of the Teleosians.

To sum up the Teleosians, they are of six different colors. Each color feels that all of their neighbors are wicked, evil, bad, or tacky. The Blues feel that the Oranges are ugly, the Purples are stupid, etc. These are examples, not actually drawn from the article.

The problem is that when two Blues have children, the children only have a 1/6 chance of being Blue -- they could just as easily be Red, Green, Purple, Yellow, or Orange. Understandably, this disgusts all of the Teleosians.

So, once a year all the Teleosians with children go to a central meeting ground, and trade children. The only problem is that the tribal size is not even. So, a Green might bring one baby and go away with one, but a Purple might go away with two or three, and a Red might not get one at all.

There are also yellow elves and dragonewts on the island, though I don't think the humans have much to do with them.

Stephen Martin
ilium_at_juno.com

The Book of Drastic Resolutions
drastic_at_juno.com