Mistery of Mistgrove

From: Thomas Gottschall <Bloodtooth_at_gmx.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 14:36:37 +0200

Hi everyone,

it seems that the digest falls asleep. And since I lately discovered a nice message by Michael Raaterova (I think) about magical places in my memory, I started to work. Here is what has come to my mind lately.

I named a forest to the west of Runegate Evergreen Woods since I had no source with any other name.

The mistery of Mistgrove

Every little child knows the stories of Mistgrove, a part of the Evergreen Woods which is nearly all the time covered in mist. Many tales are told of the origin of this magical place near Runegate Fort but none can truely explain it. And even less is known of what really is inside of it. Many think that Mistgrove is a holy place for either Iphara or Huraya but not even the Grey Sages of Jonstown know it. Though some expeditions dared to enter Mistgrove in order to discover what is inside, either they didnt return or those who did reported to have seen nothing but mist. Also many adventurers entered but of those even less returned and no one was able to recall anything else than mist. And thus what is inside remains a mistery even today and wild speculations and rumours are told to everyone who asks. The most popular one says that inside of it if you follow the right tracks the mist will vanish and you will be able to visit Iphara, Godess of Fog and Mist. She waits there inside her illusionary palace for the first mortal to come. And it is said that the one who succeeds will be rewarded like a king of heroes. But this is not the only tale of this special place. Many doubt that anything good might hide there but fear that some unknown evil sleeps there only to be awaken by careless fools, this could be something from before time or something which survived the Dragonkill War. And a few, particulary a Sword of Humakt, even guard Mistgrove thus nobody can enter it. It is not healthy to argue with them, some even kill those on the spot who express the wish to enter Mistgrove. Dare your players enter it nonetheless ? And what will be their fate ?

   Mistgrove lies a two days march to the northeast from Runegate Fort. One will notice it by the fog which penetrates its border. Though normally mist is nothing unusual in the Evergreen Woods it seldom stays longer than midday. But the mist of Mistgrove fades only once in many years. Last time this was when the terrible Crimson Bat devoured all of Runegate in 1602 at the Battle of Runegate Fort. The mist is so thick that eyesight is only effective for three meters around. Anything which is further away can not be seen due to the fog. Also scent and hearing are not as relieable as in other places. While scent fails because of the very moist and cool air, hearing is doomed to fail in the mist by stange echos and damping. It is very hard to hold a certain direction in the mist because of no natural signs of any direction. It is not possible to see Yelm in Mistgrove regardless how good ones eyesight might be. There exist no tracks inside of Mistgrove and the vegetation is very dense. Only small game can be found inside. Hunting is impossible due to the needed eyesight. Though one can find wild fruits and berries in the late fire- and earthseason until early darkseason, people are doomed to starve if they have no food themselves or escape Mistgrove in time. To wander through Mistgrove one would need only a day if there was no fog. The Lhankor Mhy in Jonstown do have access to some reports of the first setlers of Runegate after the Inhuman Occupation of DragonPass. There already Mistgrove is mentioned. Older documents might exist though none are known at this time. It is believed that Mistgrove is older than Time and that the mist hides an unknown secret, yet to be uncovered.

   So, what is really inside of it ? Chaos, ruins or a holy place ? No one knows or at least no one tells. Mistgrove is a secret, and probably it will remain this way until Time ends.

I hope I could add some interesting place to Glorantha and perhaps start a new adventure for some players out there.

Email : Bloodtooth_at_gmx.net
Homepage Telmori's Forest :
(it hasn't moved, it's just a shortcut)
http://home.pages.de/~Telmori's.Forest/

"And by the seventh day all Telmori knew that they should have no home in Sartar. Again man betrayed them. Not for the first time and certainly not for the last time..."