Herbs and Heads

From: Andrew Behan <ajbehan_at_maedhbh.maths.tcd.ie>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 20:58:52 +0100 (BST)

The herb listings in MERP/Rolemaster IMO were crap and unevocative. Much better, albeit not perfect, is the herbal at the back of "Maelstrom", an rpg Penguin published as a paperback during the solitaire game book craze in the mid-80s. I would imagine it shouldn't be hard to find second-hand in the UK. Apparently it's based on something called Gerald's Herbal.

As for limed brains, the word is talthum. In the stories of the Tuatha de Danaan Lug killed Balor, king of the Formorians, by hitting him in the eye with one AFAIK. From what I've heard they fit into the story-teller's fancy category along with Cuchulainn's gae bolga. (Though that's no reason not to put them in the game.)
- ----
Andrew