Weight of coinage

From: Michael C. Morrison 8-543-4706 <mmorrison_at_VNET.IBM.COM>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 18:15:21 -0700 (PDT)

Robert Baumgartner wondered last week about the weights of various coins in Genertela ... Here are my thoughts:

To generalise, assume all Lunars (Pennies) are the same. Likewise, all Wheels are the same, and so on. I *seriously* doubt the veracity of this assumption, but it makes for a shorter append to the digest ...

I use the following weights and sizes for these overly generalised coins:

   1 bolg = 17 grams and is about 28 mm in diameter.    Therefore, 60 bolgs is 1 ENC.

   1 clack = 6 grams and is about 20 mm in diameter.    Therefore, 160 clacks is 1 ENC.

   1 Lunar = 20 grams and is about 32 mm in diameter.    Therefore, 50 Lunars is 1 ENC. (I get confused calling them Pennies ...)

   1 Wheel = 33 grams and is about 34 mm in diameter.    Therefore, 30 Wheels is 1 ENC.

I derived these values based on a gold and silver fineness of .9 (that means a Wheel is 90% gold and 10% something else -- in the RW it's usually copper, in Genertela, it's probably silver. A Lunar/Penny is 90% silver, and 10% probably copper, or maybe Gloranthan bronze). I assumed the copper content of a clack is only 75%, with the other 25% Gloranthan bronze (in the RW, it's usually nickel). And bolgs I assumed were 100% lead.

My size and weight ratios came from real world models. Look at 18th century US or British coins and you'll see ...

I'm working on a nongeneralised version ... One that takes into account the great variation within coin types. But that'll have to wait ... Is anyone interested?

Michael

Michael C. Morrison   Santa Teresa Laboratory      Phone (408)463-4706
IMS User Technology   IBM Software Solutions       Fax   (408)463-3696
Lotus Notes ID:       MCMORRIS at IBMUSM50   IBMLink:  MORRISON_at_TORIBM
IBM Mail Exchange:    USIB47H4 at IBMMAIL     or   USIB4MCM at IBMMAIL
X.400 Address:        G=mcmgm; S=morrison; P=ibmmail; A=ibmx400; C=us