Teleos (what else?)

From: Stephen Martin <ilium_at_juno.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 03:09:07 EDT

Simon (he must be an _Orange_) Bray:

>Stephen said he had trouble accepting the Place of Big Silver Hats in
>Teleos. He will find it even harder to accept when I tell him that I
>transferred this from the real world. I cannot remember the tribes name,

Actually, if they are real-world based, I am more inclined to accept them for Teleos. And you're right, you can't beat the RW for weirdness.

Hmm, if it is silver hats, which tribe does it? Silver is too garish with green or red, and doesn't show up well with yellow. Don't even _mention_ orange. So, this should be a Blue tribe thing, I suggest -- silver looks cool with blue. Unless you _like_ garish, I suppose, in which case I recommend it go to the Greens.

Joerg
>>Plus, the write-up makes them of Agimori stock, not Kralorelan. Because
>>of this, I made a link to Pamalt in one of their myths.

>Masloi rather than Doraddi, I suppose... Does their language have any
>relation to either Tanyen (East Islander), Imperial Kralori or Thinoko?

Unless I misunderstand Pamaltelan history, Doraddi and Masloi stock are the same. As for language, the write-up specifies that Teleon has no relation to any other Gloranthan language.

>>Their mythology is so much more interesting if they are allowed to
always
>>have been of many colors, rather than changing color for some reason
>>during the Closing.

>IIRC Sandy said that the colour-coding occurred during the Closing.

I understand that Sandy said this. I just happen to disagree with him on this point. The write-up, though unpublished, does not mention such an important point. And it makes the Teleons more interesting to have always been this way. I don't the Child Trade Meeting Ground could have evolved so recently, for one thing.

Sandy
>The Teleos Pirates were not all Telean natives; pirates
>from all over the world congregated there. In those days, the Teleos
>folk did not exhibit the appalling prejudice that they now display, and
>folks of different skin colors intermarried at times.

I like this idea much better -- I can accept the lack of prejudices better than the lack of color. Good call.

New Subject, but Still Sandy
>For what it's worth, there were a huge number of
>extremely hippo-like animals in the past. Keep your hippos, by all
>means, but you can add shovel-tuskers (Ambelodon), hippo-like rhinoceri,

Per Gloranthan Bestiary, shoveltuskers are specifically found in Pamaltela, though it doesn't say exactly where.

Stephen Martin (Am I Blue?)
ilium_at_juno.com

The Book of Drastic Resolutions
drastic_at_juno.com