Teleos miscellany

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 04:42:28 PDT

Stephen Martin

Upon Teleos:

>Plus, the write-up makes them of Agimori stock, not Kralorelan.
>Because of this, I made a link to Pamalt in one of their myths.

My source for making them Kralori Stock is during the RQ-CON II Lore Auction. There Nils asked why the Teshnans speak a different language family than the Kralori and Greg then mentions something about the myth about Teleos being the ventre of the earth. He may have been confused about Teshnos and Teleos or he may be implying that the Teshnans are of Masloi stock and not Kralori. The close relationship that the Elamle (but not the Flanchi), the Teleosans and the Teshnans have with the Yellow Elves could be a pointer here.

>The implication of the write-up is that they _were_ notorious
>pirates (and are not nowadays). Rather than being used as such
>by the God Learners, they forced the G-Ls to expend much in
>the way of manpower to keep them off the seas.

I point you towards the Glorantha Book writeup where mention is made of the Grand Vizier of the Soul Pearl who ruled a notorious pirate fleet in Teleos. It is implied that he (or at least his wizards) are God Learners.

>It is interesting to note that the Teleosians classify all life as >the
Teleos tribes or "Igalo Olagi", which means "Other Life": "Only >the dragonewts are neither part of Other Life nor of the Teleos >tribes." Doesn't sound like beasts of burden to me.

It could also be interpreted as meaning that the Dragonewts are part of the Teleosan Social System (ie 'Our Own Life') which is how I had interpreted it.

>Also, I find it hard to believe that any group of people could >survive
to so mutilate and dominate dragonewts. The only similar >event in Gloranthan history is the Dragonkill.

Nysalor's Empire dominated the 'newts quite successfully until they were cast down by Nysalor. I don't see what's so special about the dragonewts that they should be undominatable.

David Cake:

>The Lopers where
>capable of teleporting around (so could easily appear in numbers
>unexpectedly), and where always known for appearing and disappearing
>mysteriously, and the Loper people as blue moon worshippers would
>almost certainly find the Red Moon significant.

Looking at Drastic Resolutions: Prax, the Lopers apparently worshipped the planet Mastakos (the source of their teleporting powers) and not the Blue Moon. Thus any attempt to find a relationship between them and the Veldang are doomed methinks.