lopers and leapers

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 1997 04:05:26 PDT

David Cake:

>After all, the Loper People are blue. It seems pretty logical
>that they might decend from one of the other blue races, and
>the Veldang seem the most likely candidate.

So who are the Pelorians descended from? The Orlanthi, the Malkioni and the Ralians? Who are the Teshans descended from? It may seem logical for their to be some relationships between any number of blue folk but that does not justify making explicit and obvious links which turn glorantha into a patchwork quilt of cookie-cutter cults.

>I certainly think having the Loper people linked with the
>Veldang of Pamaltela (land of whacky wildlife) seems more
>plausible than to link them with the Vadeli, Waertagi, or
>Pelorian Blues (and please, not another indepedendent blue
>race).

Why are you so against culturally seperate which is what I presume you mean by 'independant' blue races considering that glorantha is full of numerous distinct cultures for each of the other major races (Agimor: Doraddi, Fonritan, Masloi; Kralor: East Isles, Kralorela, Vormain). I do not consider the Pelorian Blue People nor the Vadeli Blueskins nor the Teleosan Blue Folk to be Veldang.

The Fonritan Veldang main cultural hallmarks seems to be ships (the warsails of Fonrit) and the invisibility (the invisible fleet that destroyed the Fonritan God Learners and the ghost fleet in Argrath's Saga). This is very distinct from the Loper people's practice of human sacrifice and riding teleporting beasts. So much so that if the two cultures ever came into contact with each other, there would be little reason for one to aid the other as the Yranian Leapers are said to have done. After all, does the Carmanian lift a finger to help a Seshnegi? Does the Satrap of the Hungry Plateau care much for the welfare of the Storm Bull Folk of the Block?.

Thus I am inclined to view the Yranian Leapers as being a magical society that rose within the context of Fonritan Society (by the rising of the distant Red Moon) and not some Genertelan tribe that miraculously appeared in Fonrit (centuries after their disappearance in Genertela). If there were Lopers in Fonrit before the first recorded appearance of the Yranian Leapers (as Steve Martin suggests) then I would have thought them to be mentioned in the Annilla Cult Writeup.