Herdmen

From: Guy Hoyle <ghoyle1_at_mail.airmail.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 1997 08:59:23 +0000

> From: Chiara Condotta <C.Condotta_at_latrobe.edu.au>
> Subject: Herdmen
>
> Regarding herdmen and whether they use tools, well if they don't then they
> should start de-evolving and becoming more ape like; but apes and chimps
> (our closest relatives) use tools in a limited manner i.e.using sticks to
> dig insects out of logs, using rocks to break open hard shelled fruits and
> nuts. Also as was pointed out without tools they are helpless against any
> other predator, because two legs is no way faster than four!

Herdmen can be taught all kinds of useful tricks; they are more intelligent than other herd beasts, after all (2d6+6 INT, after all, even if it is Fixed). They carry litters, fetch things, can even be taught to gather rocks together and put 'em in a pile. In times of great danger, the Morokanth give them clubs (which they use to hit anything that scares 'em). My awakened Herdman character, Fido Two-Big-Clubs, was a trained "pit fighter"; he has a high Mace attack, but a much lower parry (it's not easy to teach an unintelligent creature to parry; he dodges a lot). Fido was even taught to put on his own armor (which, incidentally, is made out of herdman leather; causes quite a stir whenever he offers to loan it to somebody).

Guy

Guy Hoyle (guyhoyle_at_iname.com)
http://web2.airmail.net/ghoyle1/
Visit The Gamemaster's Bookshelf