Doblian

From: Andrew Behan <ajbehan_at_maedhbh.maths.tcd.ie>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 1997 18:29:50 +0100 (BST)

I'm trying to put some material together about Doblia and Arira at the moment. However I'm having some trouble getting a handle on it, especially as the region I'm most interested in in the south west, near Brolia not the Joat valley or Arir, which I imagine respectively to be strongly influenced by Dara Happa and Pelanda.

I gather that Doblian is essentially a thoroughly Lunarized cozy bread-basket region. Peace is spoiled only by incessant dart wars and corruption on a grand scale. I guess it's patriarchal because Hon-Eel won her influence by marrying chieftans and because Arira, whom I'm guessing is native to Arir, is a virginal maiden - hardly an empowering goddess for women I suspect.

Anyway is Doblian part of the Dara Happan or Pelandan sphere of influence? Of course everything would be overlayed with a heavy dose of Lunar revisionism, spreading down to the peasantry many of whom I suppose worship Hon-Eel. But what is the mans deity called, Turos or Lodril - or one thing in the east and another in the west. I note Oravinos (sp?) the orchard god, father of Turos, is native to Arir. I suspect that Doblia and Arir are seperate cultural regions from their illustrious neighbours, Dara Happa anyway but it is so long since I've seen Entek. thatr I'm not sure.

Is the Bear Goddess pictured in Entek. Ertelenari (from the Gods Wall) or at least a cognate entity? In any case AFAIK she is a hunter goddess a la Artemis is her story told in Entek? Can any of you Pelorria gurus enlighten me?
Andrew