Re: Herdmen aren't domesticated animals

From: Andrew Raphael <raphael_at_research.canon.com.au>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 20:19:09 +1000 (EST)

<madamx_at_mikka.net.au> writes:

>One dog can destroy a vast proportion of a flock in a single night.
>The defenses that sheep have developed are shepherds.

Domesticated sheep, yes. They're the only sort we see down under. Wild sheep are another matter. Wild sheep have lived with predators like wolves and cougars and are not extinct. They are tough customers.

The mistake many of us are making is assuming that the herd beasts of Prax are domesticated like the cattle and sheep of North American ranches or Australian stations. They are not. Herd men are no more helpless than our hominid ancestors were. They are dumb like a water buffalo, a wild boar, a feral camel, a chimpanzee. They are dangerous when threatened.