If you go down to the woods today...

From: Andrew Behan <ajbehan_at_maedhbh.maths.tcd.ie>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 03:04:47 +0100 (BST)

Stephen Martin
> In actual fact, the Bear Goddess on the Gods Wall is NOT Ertelenari,
> though that is what Plentonius calls her. It is in fact probably Arakang,
> King Bear, per GRoY (Ivory Edition) page 58. Ertelenari is one of the
> so-called Finger Goddesses. The bear pictured in Entekosiad (Green) on
> page 71 is in fact Arakang, King Bear, who is a separate cultural deity
> from Ertelenari -- they are from different lands.

Which lands? The Finger Goddesses are Dara Happan, aren't they? Or are they Pelandan as well? AFAIK the finger signs after which they are named are Pelandan. Where is Arakang from, I thought it was Arir but I could - -really- use some clarification. Is he the Bad Bear foe of Oravinos? I amn't sure because I thought that bear was a goddess.

Also is Arakang still worshipped at all? Or is Ertelenari, especially under the (typically, it seems) false Pletonian identification. According to Nick Brooke's home page bears are sacred to the Lunars, which would make sense, given the goddesses' power over the Star Bears and the Empire's penchant for rehabilitating deities the Dara Happans didn't like. - ------
Andrew