Re: dogs & wolves, herdman devolution

From: madamx_at_mikka.net.au
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 1997 19:48:28 +1000

Mr Martin 03 sep 97
>The Telmori Spirit(s) and the Dog Spirit(s) are completely separate
>entities. However, just as on Earth, at one time in the past they were
>the same, or at least were the same species.
>
>However, ... two species are still more
>interchangeable than either would ever admit

On Earth _at_ least D&W evolved quite seperately. Dogs are decended from the asiatic 'wolf' (Australian dingo) wolves from something more akin to a bear ( not bear as such but a common ancestor), hence the seperate genus. Interchangability, I feel, should be limitted to their competion for similar ecological niches. In Gloranthan terms this could well be expressed as a clash of deities with the resultant animosity. Perhaps a significant part of the Telmori were driven from Balazar by the dog mob? Lost control of or access to places significant in their tribal worship? Subsequent loss of power for Telmor? Is there a potential Telmori 'sacred sites' claim pending in Balazar?

Horses are not devolving in any apreciable way. It is theorised that without human interferance the horse would now be extinct due to its relatively poor digestive ability (among other factors). IMO the same aplies to the herdman. The Morocanth find the herdman useful in its current form & so maintain that form. Devolving herdmen face an artificial selection pressure simlar to that which maintains the RW horse. Re defenses see sheep. One dog can destroy a vast proportion of a flock in a single night. The defenses that sheep have developed are shepherds.
Darvall.
Madamx_at_mikka.net.au