Centaurs, Bear Gods, Teleos

From: Stephen Martin <ilium_at_juno.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 1997 14:10:47 EDT

Andrew Barton <AndrewBarton_at_compuserve.com> Centaur culture

>My wife and I have been doing some thinking on the structure of centaur
>herds in their homelands - the only Glrantha references I've seen are to
>bachelor groups found in other areas.
>
>Has anything been published or posted on the subject?

I believe Dave Dunham or Mike Dawson has something on them, I can't recall which.

Andrew Behan
>Is the Bear Goddess pictured in Entek. Ertelenari (from the Gods Wall)
or
>at least a cognate entity? In any case AFAIK she is a hunter goddess a
la
>Artemis is her story told in Entek? Can any of you Pelorria gurus
>enlighten me?

In actual fact, the Bear Goddess on the Gods Wall is NOT Ertelenari, though that is what Plentonius calls her. It is in fact probably Arakang, King Bear, per GRoY (Ivory Edition) page 58. Ertelenari is one of the so-called Finger Goddesses. The bear pictured in Entekosiad (Green) on page 71 is in fact Arakang, King Bear, who is a separate cultural deity from Ertelenari -- they are from different lands.

Patrik Sandberg

Cold Cliff is interesting. I would certainly want to tone it down, myself, but it seems to resonate well with my ideas about the "Colorless" tribe which is rumored to inhabit the central mountains of Teleos. Basically, it is formed of those Teleons who dislike the racial color-hating. People of all colors mix and live together, finding joy in their spouses and children, regardless of their color.

For mythic reasons, the place where they are said to live is called White Woman's Mountain. I could see a link between this and the Cold Cliff.

Note that the Child Trade Meeting Ground is said by the Teleons to the exact center of the world.

Stephen Martin
ilium_at_juno.com

The Book of Drastic Resolutions
drastic_at_juno.com