Healers and Involuntary Initiation

From: Michael Cule <mikec_at_room3b.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 11:44:30 +0100

Jane Williams wants to know what use healers are as player characters.

Ummm. The answer is not much. Apart from Ressurection their only unique ability that's likely to be of much use is the Sleep spell. And that puts limits on the other characters' actions. A healer could be a useful diplomat for parties that are interested in talking. The garb of the White Lady's cult is distinctive enough and respected by enough people that you can send the Healer ahead to talk to the unfriendly strangers in reasonable safety. Develop your Oratory and Fast Talk skills!

But by and large I've got to say that Healers make better NPCs than PCs.

As to the whole idea of Involuntary Initiation I'd say that it is something that is characteristic only of the Chaos Gods. If you rape then you attract the attention of Thed, if you assasinate or betray you attract the attention of Krasht, if you horde knowledge you attract the attention of Thanatar. And since your own gods aren't going to be looking out for you (your soul having become polluted) then you are fair game.

But while Issaries or Humakt might notice you and send you a dream vision saying: "Hey! You look like our kind of fella! See your nearest priest for details: I'm sending him a dream about you!" they won't reach out and grab you the way the Chaots do.

As to whether you have to have heard of the Chaos God involved to be affected I dunno. But I don't believe that there is a culture anywhere on Glorantha where acts of evil are without risk of unpleasant spiritual and physical consequences. Certainly a Brithini can't do any of those things without breaking his caste rules and risking Death.