Re: Dosakayo

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 97 20:43 MET DST

Simon Bray:
>Has anybody any ideas about the Teshnan port of Dosakyo (sp?), which
>was established by the Kethaelan fleet.

Yes, see Digest 131. Essentially I have put the city onto a small island off the Teshnan coast, and have it as a Holy Country controlled port, even after 1616.

Peter Metcalfe:
>Dosakayo is more like 18th century Hong Kong in
>character (think Opium rather than Tea!).

I agree about Hong Kong (expatriate city on an island). Wasn't the Opium smuggled _to_ China rather than out, though?

Another useful parallel might be the Arab city on Sansibar off the East African coast...

>I believe the port is on the Isle of Melib rather than mainland
>Teleos.

IMO the Holy Country fleet had a healthy respect for war elephants (armies which don't know them wisely do so) and chose an island site just off the Teshnan coast. Perhaps even in the image of Seapolis... What kind of mermen frequent the Teshnan west coast? Still Ludoch, or already Zabdamar?

>The Kethaelans have left long ago after the Kralori sunk
>their hopes of a maritime empire.

Not in my Glorantha. I would use your ideas for his capital city on Melib, but I prefer to have a Kethaelan colony in the East, since it allows all kind of Sandokan perusal.

(Brown) Vadeli presence is a problem in Dosakayo, I suppose, with them creating an alternate government and society inside the city, subverting the existing structures. (I don't think there are many brown Vadeli anywhere in Kethaela proper, except Nochet and perhaps Karse, Seapolis, Rhigos and Refuge.)