Healers

From: Michael C. Morrison 8-543-4706 <mmorrison_at_VNET.IBM.COM>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 13:01:03 -0700 (PDT)

Jane wonders what healers do ... So I present my views:

Because a standard Chalana Arroy healer is a pacifist, there is a real danger that players will treat the healer as a cardboard character, only useful for resurrection. But healers can do so much more, even in an old-fashioned RQ2-style game:

With so many of the spells and skills available to others, it might seem that CAs are redundant. Not so! Look at all the features you get in one convenient package! Even a new CA priestess is a better healer than experienced priests of other cults.

If you add in the fact (IMG) that healing potions and antidotes are expensive and hard to come by, and that not every village has a CA temple for handy resurrection, the PCs come to rely on their own CA priestess for healing, and come to respect her. Even if she couldn't fight her way out of paper bag (if paper bags were to be found and thought to be combative ...).

Michael

Michael C. Morrison   Santa Teresa Laboratory      Phone (408)463-4706
IMS User Technology   IBM Software Solutions       Fax   (408)463-3696
Lotus Notes ID:       MCMORRIS at IBMUSM50   IBMLink:  MORRISON_at_TORIBM
IBM Mail Exchange:    USIB47H4 at IBMMAIL     or   USIB4MCM at IBMMAIL
X.400 Address:        G=mcmgm; S=morrison; P=ibmmail; A=ibmx400; C=us