Re: Healers

From: Paolo Guccione <p.guccione_at_geco.it>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 1997 01:23:08 +0200

Jane Williams wonders whether a healer is a worthy PC. Well, I have never had one in my Glorantha campaigns, but I think he/she would be worth playing.

First of all, a healer is not defenceless in combat. Sleep is the best attack spell in RQ3, and it is a restricted, cult spell. Imagine your party being attacked by a _very_ big dinosaur or another huge monster. They cannot fight it by conventional means, it would take several critical hits to take it down. They cannot Befuddle or Demoralize it because of its fixed INT (casting Release INT would not be a god idea). Fear is useless with CON 20+ creatures. Madness would do, but unfortunately it is a Lunar spell... The party is doomed, but wait - what happened? Serena the healer just waived her hand and the Big Scary Monster went down and started snoring aloud? Three hoorays for her, and shame for all those who always called her a wimp!

Moreover, and more important, a Healer's knowledge is not restricted to practical matters. Her ability to heal comes from a deep knowledge of myth, not hospital practice. Each time she resurrects, she is in contact with the Otherworld, maybe even the God Plane. After some castings, she should be able to Heroquest on her own, albeit most healers choose not to. Apart from the most combat-oriented encounters, the healer should be at an advantage in understanding the deepest significance of any magical phenomenon.

Although it may be a disadvantage in most campaigns, being a healer is an advantage in a game which features the deeper mysteries of Glorantha. After all, Chalana Arroy is a Lightbringer, while Urox and Humakt are not...

Paolo Guccione	p.guccione_at_geco.it
		http://www.geco.it/~guccione