Herbalism theory

From: Jane Williams <janewill_at_mail.nildram.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 1997 18:42:03 +0000

Gaylin really gave me something to think about there. Before I start spouting lists of herbs, we need an underlying theory or two. I've taken a look at the theories available in RW books, but I'm not sure how many would translate to Glorantha. So far I've found three basic types:
  1. Balance of elements: several similar systems exist. This says that the human body consists of a number elements (four is average), and that these have to be kept in balance for health. All illnesses are described in terms of imbalance (a cold is excess water, for instance), and herbs containing the approppriate element are presceibed to correct the imbalance. So for a cold, you add the opposite element: fire. Ginger, cloves, and so on. (Yes, this is oversimplified!) Quite how you assign plants to elements is down to "intuition": assigning them so that they work is a good move.
  2. Doctrine of Signatures. This says that a plant should be used to treat that bit of the body that it resembles. So, a plant with kidney-shaped leaves for kidney trouble. A plant with root nodules for piles. And so on. This is, obviously, rubbish, based in primitive sympathy magic. Trouble is, it seems to work rather more often than chance would suggest.
  3. Astrology. Each part of the body is assigned a star, planet, or sign of the zodiac. To treat that part, use a plant which has also been assigned to that heavenly body. How you assign them I don't know.

Of these three theories, the elemental one seems to me to be unlikely to be used by Gloranthans where their society is tied to one element: Air, Sun, etc. The idea of balance between the elements being desirable just doesn't fit.

The Doctrine of Signatures makes more sense if you assume that all plants have their own spirit, and that in the case of healing plants, that spirit actually wants to identify itself to healers. So it labels itself.

Astrology: sounds like a possibility, but I'm not sufficiently familiar with Gloranthan astronomy or astrology to comment. Do we have a Zodiac to play with?

Jane Williams                     jane_at_williams.nildram.co.uk
http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~janewill/gloranth/index.shtml