Heal and Treat Wounds....

From: Michael Cule <mikec_at_room3b.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 1997 00:42:49 GMT

Thomas Gottschall wants to know:
> I have a problem with the spirit magic 'Heal' spell. If I look at
> sorcery I know exactly what 'Treat wounds' does.

You do? Clever lad! Mind explaining it to me? We've puzzled over it for hours...

Have you seen the errata note that makes it a normal sorcery spell and not have the special duration? This means it is useless without Duration.

> But what does 'Heal' ?
> If I break my leg for 3 points and I apply 'Heal' the for 3 points. What
> has happened ? Is my leg like new or something else ?

Provided the blow hasn't crippled or severed the limb the right amount of Heal (whether in one burst or in stages) will restore full function.

> Is there any
> inconvenience ? What if the broken leg was smashed ?

Heal can't restore crippled limbs unless it is applied within 10 rounds. It cannot restore severed limbs at all. (See p 43 of the player's book: Healing Magic.) One point of dispute is how much Heal is needed to stop bleeding. There used to be a rule for this under RQ2 but not under RQ3.

> Would every little
> piece of bone be perfectly arranged again leaving not even a scar ?

Scars are probably still formed. I seem to recall that the portrait of the Humakti Sword Londra of Londros from the early Chaosium house campaign showed her covered in small scars. I envisage Heal as boosting the speed but not the extent of healing.

> If
> this was really the case 'Heal' would be always better the Treat wounds
> even with intensity 10 or more. Please help me out here !!!

Heal is always better than Treat Wounds. The sorcery system is crocked. I'm sorry. (And I personally don't like Sandy's fix of it. Ho Hum.)

Actor And Genius
AKA Theophilus Prince Archbishop Of The Far Isles Medieval Society Arms Purpure An Open Book Proper: On the Dexter Page an Alpha Or On the Sinister an Omega Or. Motto Nulla Spes Sit in Resistendo (Resistance is Useless). Ask me about the Far Isles: Better Living through Pan-Medieval Anachronisms.