Re: Rape and Broos

From: Robert McArthur <mcarthur_at_fit.qut.edu.au>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 1997 15:17:56 +1000 (EST)

While not a topic I want to keep going, the mythic consequence and ideas are interesting...
Guy Hoyle writes...
> ...At the very least, the rapist has
> voluntarily pledged his support to Thed. I feel that any act of rape
> (whether in wartime or in secret, among Theists or Monotheists or
> anyone else) contributes to the power of that entity we call the
> Goddess of Rape.

If the theists have it right, then in Glorantha unlike our RW, before Thed there never was rape. I find it helps to remind me of the differences in thinking between the RW and the big G. There were (are?!!) people who can remember a time without rape, without chaos (not evil mind you) etc.

When Thed became Godess of Rape, I assume this event, decided by the King of Gods himself (one POV), initiated small but growing changes in the world until balance asserted. At some time after the event, rape perhaps was quite widespread as peoples and Gods tried out the new power. With the nature of the power, and the fall of Thed, it has fallen to its current lower point. Note that during the Hero Wars, with Chaos closer to the lozenge, rape will become more common. Of course, perhaps only dedicated I.Ontor priests could actually measure any difference.

Cheers
Robert McArthur

End of The Glorantha Digest V5 #158

End of The Glorantha Digest V5 #159