Oppressive Places

From: rhwolfe1_at_ix.netcom.com
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 1997 13:38:02 -0500 (CDT)

Nick argues against Nochet as the site for Juno's Blackshirts campaign, and I agree. I've always seen Nochet (during the war anyway) as something like Saigon in the early seventies. The local "legitimate" government is unpopular and corrupt, the well-meaning foreign interventionists (the Lunars) are getting frustrated, pissed off, and more than a little reactionary. The weather sucks (if you're a Lunar, too hot, too humid), there's jungle out there, and sluggish muddy river deltas, with plenty of insurgents, and you can't tell the "good guys" from the "bad guys." In fact, the story I was going to tell at the Lunar story-telling competition at the Victoria Con started: "Nochet. I can't believe I'm back in fucking Nochet. One of the scenes involved an innocentlooking  young Esrolian girl "going Barbeester" on an entire Lunar century with a meat cleaver.

My next Gloranthan campaign will be based here, with the PCs as Lunar grunts "in country" wishing they could get back to "the glow." I can see it now:

                "ENDWANE NOW" FADE IN: EXT. CALANDRALAND JUNGLE - DAY The SOUND of beating WYVERN WINGS fills the air. THREE WYVERN RIDERS soar onto the screen, unleashing SALAMANDERS onto the thick jungle canopy.

Cue music:

	"This is the end, end of the wane, my friend.
	The Red Moon sets, my friend."

ETC. <SIGH> Someday. Oh, well, back to work.

Robert