Re: Heal spells

From: Jane Williams <janewill_at_mail.nildram.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 1997 23:19:21 +0000

Thomas Gottschall says of the Heal spirit spell:

> Let's say my leg is smashed beyond recognition. I still have ten rounds
> to heal it and then it's like new again. This sounds not right to me.
> According to books more soldiers died of infections than in battle in
> the Middle Ages. Many were crippled. But in Glorantha the powergamers
> have won. As long as someone has 'Heal' a battle is an option. I would
> like to see a less powerful 'Heal' and more permanent loss in health,
> like lost fingers, blinded eyes etc. and not only with the Humakti.

Agreed. Mind you, if you've only got Heal 2 and say 60% chance of casting it, I think you've lost the leg. But I've felt for some time that Heal 10 was just as good as Heal Wound: and it shouldn't be. (Yes, I know, only CAs should get Heal 10 anyway. But if she's got Heal 10 and Heal Wound, I want a difference between them).

My answer is to say that for "maimed" locations (HP down to minus their original total), spirit magic can only heal up to 1 point, not to full, no matter how fast the magic is applied. You'll live, you won't lose the limb, but the rest of the injury will have to heal naturally. (Or by divine magic - and who's going to waste that on something non-lethal?) So, you get a scar. And a few weeks off. Does that help? I haven't considered sorcery, I'm afraid.

Jane Williams                     jane_at_williams.nildram.co.uk
http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~janewill/gloranth/index.shtml