Heal makes for Powergamers. Well yes, it does.....

From: Michael Cule <mikec_at_room3b.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 1997 23:46:36 GMT

Thomas Gottschall is unhappy about Heal and Treat Wounds:

> I haven't seen this errata note. The original spell however gave one HP
> per hour back. And the duration increased with intensity.

Naturally, having quoted the damn thing, I now can't find my copy but I think there's a copy on the net somewhere. (Anyone help?)

Basically the spell has to be extended to an hour to give any benefit at all. The rewrite is quite confusing as I recall it. Your way of doing it makes as much sense as anything.

> This is nearly ridiculous when you misuse 'Heal'. Let's say my leg is
> smashed beyond recognition. I still have ten rounds to heal it and then
> it's like new again.

That's right. That's the way. Of course, you're likely to be bleeding all the time and you may have lost consciousness....

> This sounds not right to me. According to books
> more soldiers died of infections than in battle in the Middle Ages. Many
> were crippled.

If you want to add the complications of infection then there's nothing in Heal spell to stop you. The wounds close but they may still have stuff in them.

(And the party Healer is shouting "Damnit how many times have I told you? First Aid first! Clean the wound, stop the bleeding and *then* do the damn Heal! I'm not going to waste Rune Magic on you if you won't take simple precautions!")

> But in Glorantha the powergamers have won. As long as
> someone has 'Heal' a battle is an option.

Well I think it is generally acknowledged that Heal makes people more ready to fight in Glorantha. I seem to remember an acknowledgement of this in one of the books in the Glorantha:Genertela pack.

And I've seen too many characters killed outright or die bleeding slowly while everyone else was busy to think that RQ is a power gamer's dream.

> I would like to see a less
> powerful 'Heal' and more permanent loss in health, like lost fingers,
> blinded eyes etc. and not only with the Humakti. Perhaps if your
> character could become more easily crippled for life you think twice
> before attacking an armed Telmori with his brother.

Well, 1) It's your Glorantha but life is hard enough already for a poor adventurer.

And 2) Why Humakti especially? Unless you take the bum geas you're only cut off from Ressurection, not magic that will keep you fit for the battle.

Actor And Genius
AKA Theophilus Prince Archbishop Of The Far Isles Medieval Society Arms Purpure An Open Book Proper: On the Dexter Page an Alpha Or On the Sinister an Omega Or. Motto Nulla Spes Sit in Resistendo (Resistance is Useless). Ask me about the Far Isles: Better Living through Pan-Medieval Anachronisms.