Pent

From: Stephen Martin <ilium_at_juno.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 1997 00:04:46 EDT

Jane --

Take much of Genertela with a grain of salt. Where it says the Pentans worship Eiritha, I think few people would argue that this is actually Eiritha. It is, rather, the Pentan deity who fulfills the function of Eiritha.

Since the Grazers, a long time ago, originated in Pent, and since their god Yu-Kargzant has a similar name to Pentan Kargzant, I think it is safe to assume that the Pentan herd goddess has a name similar to La-Ungariant, Yu-K's wife, or Arandayla, specifically the horse goddess of the Grazers. Probably Arandayla, though with the sovereignty powers the Grazers probably attribute to La-U.

And of course she's not identical to Eiritha -- she deals with horses, not a lot of lesser beasts, and so she is likely to be much more focussed, both in her myths and in her nature. But her spells should be similar, yes, and probably a good number of her rituals.

Note also that much of Eiritha's mythology is specific to the limited geography of Prax itself, not the general Wastes. This is also less likely to be true of the Pentan herd goddess.

Women are most likely to worship the herd goddess almost exclusively, even as they do in Prax. In Prax, Waha and Storm Bull are the most common gods, with Foundchild a close third. But most women worship Eiritha. The storm-tribe women of Pent are just as likely to worship their goddess, regardless of their husbands' god(s).

I am not convinced of the age-division of worship among women, though I am fairly sure that the age-division of the Grazer men is present among Pentan men as well. Remember that shamanism is a very strong tradition (Sheng Seleris was a shaman, remember). There might be different aspects of this one goddess for girls, women, and elders, but I don't think they would be as different as the men's aspects.

Reason: young men, adults, and elder men fulfill different roles in Pentan culture: boys help the herds, but would rarely fight. As men (age 15 or so), they primarily hunt, fight, and raid. As old men, they are likely to be priests and wise leaders.

Regardless of age, the role of the women is to succor the tribe and support the children, herds, and men (probably int hat order). The role of a 16 year old woman and a 60 year old woman is almost identical, compared to a 16 year old man and a 60 year old man.

Flames?

Trotsky on Astrology
<< For non-healing reasons, I have been wondering about this for quite some
 time. Because the constellations in Glorantha do not precess in the same  way that terrestrial ones do, it is harder to determine. That is, they do
 precess over the course of a year, but not over the course of centuries.  How long does it take for them to precess on earth -- is it enough to  make a difference?>>

>It takes around 25,000 years for the equinoxes to precess around a full
>circuit.

Unless I fumbled my Use Microsoft Calculator roll, that is 1 degree of change every 70 years, which is _extremely_ significant in terrestrial astrology. So, this is a big difference in Glorantha, since this change is apparently not present.

Stephen Martin
ilium_at_juno.com

The Book of Drastic Resolutions
drastic_at_juno.com