minor matters

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 1997 01:43:26 PDT

Kevin Rose:

>>A minor cult? The Granite Phalanx is one of finest forces in
>>the Lunar Army. Would the gloranthan equivalent of the Imperial
>>Guard be a minor cult?

>The Gloranthan Equivalent of the Imperial Guard is the Imperial
>Bodyguard. Which the Phalanx are not.

The perils of trying to tailor the message to the original recipient. I originally included units like the US Marines, the SAS and even Israeli paratroopers. But then I wasn't sure that my point would have gotten across.

In any case, the granite phalanx is a _distinguished_ regiment (even if the bloodspillers are tougher). It was originally one of the ten stonewall phalanxes that fought for Khordavu and when all ten units were present on the battlefield they were invincible. (Sadly over the millenia, only five units now remain).

Jane Williams

>A Pentan this time. I've read the Glorantha box on the
>subject, and noted that Pentan women seem to worship
>Eiritha. Is this right? I thought she was Praxian, and
>Prax and Pent were enemies? Or is this a deity identical
>to Eiritha in all ways but the name?

'Identical' to Eiritha. The Pentan 'Eiritha' would have some different spells and be associated with ordinary cattle and with not any praxian herd-beasts.

>It also mentions that there are both Solar and Storm Pent tribes. >What
deities would be worshipped, in either case?

Solars worship Kargzant the Sun. In Pentan mythology he takes the form of a blazing horse and his warriors can call on the Golden Bow. Hence the erroneous belief by foreign observers that he is the Son of Yelm - he's not, he is 'Yelm'.

Stormers worship the four winds, the North War Wind, the South Rage Wind, the West King Wind and the East Sting Wind.

>By the women in particular?

Traditional women worship Hippoi. Modern women would worship the Pentan 'Eiritha'. These are the stay-at-home types and adventurer types would follow kargzant or one of the four winds. The literature says they run of to join the womens tribe but I suspect this is simple ignorance by outsiders - after all the legend of the Amazons are believed to be the female scythian warriors who remained part of their tribe.