The Image of the Sartarian landscape

From: Kåselöv-Sandberg <md24855_at_dredd.swipnet.se>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 1997 11:20:56 +0200

Hello folks,

Patrik Sandberg here...

Lee R Insley wrote:
> Does anyone have a write-up of the Sartar landscape, villages, culture, etc. =20
> A friend of mine once told me that the basis for Sartar was along the lines of
> the Germans in Roman times. From my knowledge of the Germans, it appears
> to me
> that Sartar is more like Gaul than Germany. I say this for two reasons:
>=20
> 1) Gauls was more civilized than Germany. Germany had no large towns
> or trading centers before the Romans got there. Gaul, however, had

> 	    such places.
> 	2)  Germany was never fully subjugated by Rome.  Gaul was.

In general, I agree with you here. But I would like to stress the following:

So, in miniscule detail my vision of Sartar includes:

"It just seemed like any other clearing when we first went in. It must have been generations old /.../ this place had a special atmosphere. There was a smell of moss and misery./.../ Ahead of us leaned a grotesque statue in rotting, roughhewn wood /.../ He loomed up like a huge gnarled oak trunk, beaded with livid orange mould and rooted in decay. He had three primitive faces, with four staring Celtic almond-shaped eyes distributed among them. Atop him the wide antlers of some massive elk draped themselves as if trying to embrace the sky. Before the god stood basic turf altar where the priests came to make their sacrifice."

etc, etc. I think that you should avoid, if at all possible, to stick with just one analogue. And above all - don't forget the never-to-be-found "analogue" of Gloranthan weirdness and feeling of High fantasy, which is there as well.

What it all comes down to, in the end, is a matter of taste, I suppose. But the above-written is how I have handled both the Talastar, Skanthi, Aggarian and Sartarite Orlanthis. (I would stick to it quite much if I went down to Heortland as well. I'm not particularily fond of the Medeival pot this area often seems to be. On the other hand again, the step between a viking culture and medeival Norman ain't that great so I suppose I can reconcile the differences...)

Cheers,

Patrik Sandberg
kaselov.sandberg_at_swipnet.se